Martha Wainwright - I Know You're Married But I Got Feelings Too









'I Know You’re Married But I've Got Feelings Too' is only Martha Wainwright's second album but it cements her place as a solid songwriter and musician. Martha (sister to Rufus Wainwright, in case you didn't know) has toured and recorded with acts ranging from Neko Case to Snow Patrol (with which she did the single 'Set the Fire to the Third Bar'). When asked about the album Martha responded "The title sums up my dark humor. Plus it's an homage to a few good men and women that I've loved at one time or another. After all, these people never go away. You end up loving them for life.".

The album is full of styles ranging from love ballads to more rock tinged fair, as well as pop versions of Pink Floyd's 'See Emily Play' (which actually works for me) and the Eurythmics' 'Love Is A Stranger' (Martha and Annie Lennox released the single 'Sing' to raise awareness of the transmission of HIV to unborn children in Africa). In the album opener 'Bleed All Over Me' Martha muses about lovers and friends lost. When she sings 'In The Middle Of The Night' (the stand out track for me) it sounds like someone who, filled with such passion and pain, could turn on you at any second (I also swear she should be touring with Nick Cave after hearing this track!). Martha seems to channel different singers from time to time like in 'The 'Tower Song' which would be right at home on a Radiohead album if Thom York was at the helm or on "The George Song" which sounds like a cross between Jewel and Tori Amos (which is not a bad thing). 'Jimi' shows that Martha can belt out chorus' with the best of them and really shows her vocal talent.

'I Know You’re Married But I've Got Feelings Too' is packed with famous contributors including Pete Townshend ('You Cheated Me'), The Band's Garth Hudson ('I Wish I Were'), and Steely Dan's Donald Fagen ('So Many Friends'). It also features members of Martha's extremely talented extended family, including her brother Rufus (In The Middle Of The Night'), mother Kate McGarrigle, aunt Anna McGarrigle, and her first cousin Lily Lanken ('See Emily Play').

Overall, this is a great step in the right direction as Martha continues to hone her skills and make a name for herself. Highly recommended, if your into that sort of thing.....which I am, lucky me.


8 out of 10





Comments

Popular Posts