Muscles - Guns, Babes, Lemonade








When I heard the opening lines to 'Sweaty', the albums first track,"My hand slipped into your hand!/ And it was awesome! /And you were special!", I thought I could be in for something special. I had no idea how special.

Muscles debut album 'Guns Babes Lemonade' is as close to dance-pop perfection as I think I will ever hear. This 22 year-old Australian one man phenomenon has created an album full of quirky and contagious songs that you can't help but dance to. His recipe for success is simple: make sure to have plenty of infectious synths lines, amazing multitracked vocal harmonies, thumping beats and top it all of with (often hilarious) lyrics that make you grin from ear to ear.

Tracks like 'My Friend Richard ' and 'Futurekidz' are great party anthems in their own right, with wicked bass lines and stabbing syths, and the inevitable remixes should guarantee dance floor supremacy. 'The Lake' and 'Lauren From Glebe' show a softer side as the music slows down ( to an almost lo-fi house and sometimes trance-ish sound) and the focus is more about the harmonies (with the synths backing them up perfectly!).

The album closes with the wonderfully silly track "Hey Muscles I Love You'- "Last night a most terrible dream/It was 12am and the music disappeared/And i'm crying/I'm shaken/I'm scared/I'm freaked out/Hey Muscles i love you/I wanna have your babies/ Just come here I'll kiss you/Don't worry about the neighbours " - and really sums up what I love about this album. It's pop-sweet, dance-tastic music that never takes itself to seriously. It also happens to be the most fun I've had listening to an album in a long time. If you're a fan of dance music (or just fun music) do yourself a favour and add this to your collection!


10 out of 10!!






Comments

Popular Posts